Monday, September 23, 2019
Ann Arbor is not only home to the University of Michigan and the Wolverines but is right next door to Ypsilanti and Eastern Michigan University’s Swoops. The combination makes Ann Arbor a popular destination for fans of college sports. Whether you’re an avid fan traveling to support your team or you have a student-athlete interested in attending one of the two universities, make sure to visit University Inn in Ann Arbor, conveniently located near University of Michigan, to start your sports-themed Ann Arbor trip.
What You’ll Find
The University of Michigan Athletic program plays in the NCAA Division I as well as the Big Ten conference, making the Wolverines a formidable bunch. There are 27 varsity sports, ranging from football to water polo, basketball to gymnastics. But here are some of the sports you’ll most commonly see.
- The U-M Wolverines are best known for their football team, and for good reason. With 929 wins and 11 national championships, the Wolverines have the highest winning percentage of any college football team in history.
- U-M has both men’s and women’s basketball teams. The men’s team has appeared in the NCAA Playoffs Final Four as many as 8 times.
- Some of your favorite major league baseball players may have started with the Wolverines. As many as 138 players have gone on to the major leagues. Just this year, the baseball team made it to the College World Series.
- If you’re visiting in the summer, men’s and women’s soccer is another popular Wolverines sport, both for spectators and potential future athletes.
- Ice Hockey. The ice hockey team is a member of the Big Ten conference, and they’ve won nine NCAA championships.
- Women’s rowing is a more recent varsity sport in U-M’s athletic program. It started as a club sport in 1991 and became a varsity sport in 1996.
In neighboring Ypsilanti, you can also enjoy sports from the Eastern Michigan University Eagles, including football, baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, track and field, and wrestling. The Eagles also play in Division I so you may catch a game of the Wolverines vs. Eagles while you’re here.
Where to Watch
Are you a spectator or a student-athlete hoping to check out the field where you might play in the coming year? Here are some of the facilities you’ll find at the University of Michigan:
- Michigan Stadium (football) – the second-largest football stadium in the world.
- Yost Ice Arena
- U-M Soccer Stadium
- U-M Lacrosse Stadium
- U-M Golf Course
- Ray Fisher Stadium (baseball)
- Alumni Stadium (softball)
- Cliff Keen Arena (men’s gymnastics, volleyball, and wrestling)
- Crisler Center (basketball and women’s gymnastics)
- Phyllis Ocker Field (field hockey)
- Canham Natatorium (swimming and diving, water polo)
- Varsity Tennis Center
At Eastern Michigan University, there’s also:
- Rynearson Stadium
- Convocation Center
- Oestrike Stadium
- Jones Natatorium
- Scicluna Field
- Joe’s Sports Dome
- Wasik Tennis Center
- Eaglecrest Golf Club
Where to Stay
The University Inn in Ann Arbor is located near the University of Michigan campus, making it the perfect place to stay for Wolverines fans. We also offer a 10% discount if student-athletes or families of athletes with either U-M or Eastern Michigan University book their stay with us directly. Contact us today for more information.